Image Map

Monday, September 23, 2013

Slow and Steady!


That is our key right now. In our first grade we are continuing to work on read to self all together. As of last Friday we began breaking into our four groups and two groups are buddy reading while two groups listen to reading. Prior to this, we were all buddy reading. The students do very well buddy reading. Not sure if I posted this already, but I actually launched read to self and buddy reading at the same time this year. I must say it was a good move.

Listening to reading always has its difficulties. Students don't know how to independently use the computers or listening center. I love giving them a cassette tape and watching them attempt to open the case like it was Pandora's Box! This year, I put one student in charge of computers for the week. I teach them how to get the computers up and running and the hope is that they will in turn be able to get them up and running for the rest of the week. In a perfect world, it works, but it is still better than me doing it all the time.

For now, we are holding here. Just continuing to practice with these three until they become second nature. We are also doing our fairy tale unit right now which is new for us at the beginning of the year. I love it though. It works nicely into getting things up and running.
I will keep you posted!


Practicing read to self



Practicing buddy reading



No comments:

Post a Comment